Saturday, July 25, 2009

selling out

So it appears that even in today's economic climate, companies still have money to blow on corporate sponsorships. Lance Armstrong just announced that he's starting a team sponsored primarily by Radio Shack, and I have no issues with that kind of sponsorship. I dislike, but can even tolerate corporate naming rights for ballparks and sports teams. It's annoying enough that the Astros are playing at Minute Maid Park in Houston or the Mets at Citibank Field (probably now funded by taxpayer dollars), but they're private, for-profit teams selling their rights to make some money. I think we have to draw the line there. I just heard that the New York MTA has just sold the naming rights to a subway stop. The iconic stop at Atlantic Avenue, Pacific Street and Flatbush Avenue in Downtown Brooklyn will now have Barclays in it's name. The pricetag: $4 million. If public entities are now selling naming rights, I can only shudder at what may come next. Now this may be an over-reaction, but I think the day may be coming when we have to report to jury duty at the Tostitos County Courthouse and pay or respects at Harrah's Arlington National Cemetery. Trust me...that day is coming.

No comments: