Monday, August 3, 2009

from where i sit: views on everything and nothing

A study recently release show that on average, 1,200 laptops are lost each week at LAX. These can range from being stolen, to left at the terminal, but the majority of laptops are lost at security checkpoints, where people remove the laptops out of their bags and apparently forget to put them back. I guess my question is, wouldn't you realize that your laptop bag is surprisingly lighter now that there's no PC in there?


I still remember my first cellphone, an Ericsson flip phone I got when I started high school. as I recall, that was about the time when all my friends started getting cellphones too, as kids needed to call their folks after clubs, sports practices, etc were over. A survey of kids in the UK show that roughly half of all kids between ages 5 and 9 now have mobile phones. I can understand giving your kid a phone when they reach high school, but half of all 5-9 yr. olds? Most 5 yr. olds I know can't even spell cellphone, let alone know how to use one. It seems like childhood experiences are increasingly punctuated by technology these days.


European discount airline Ryanair is in talks with Boeing to install standing room spots on their fleet of airplanes in order to pack more people onto their flights. These "seats" will be similar to barstools with seatbelts. At some point you gotta wonder if they're not just better off stacking people tight enough so that there wouldn't even be a need for seatbelts. I guess in that situation people can also double as shock absorbers.


Russian football fans who are travelling to Wales next month for the World Cup qualifier have been urged to drink Welsh whisky to ward off H1N1, says the head of the country's supporter association (VOB). I wasn't aware that whisky could prevent this disease. Perhaps for Russians whisky is their Robitussin.

1 comment:

Brian Cho said...

you think about the most random of things. no wonder you get no work done and have to stay late. sheesh