Tuesday, October 6, 2009

farmer's market






There’s something about Wednesdays that just brightens my day. Maybe it’s the fact that it’s hump day (midpoint of the week), or perhaps it’s because it’s Alejandros day (Mexican place by work), but I’m almost willing to bet that it’s cuz of farmers market! There’s just something special about farmer’s market that will just make the day better. I like the fact that I can take a break from work, walk out of the lobby and into the mayhem that’s downtown Sac; however, the minute I jaywalk across 9th St (unless you’re a cop, in which case I’d saunter over to the crosswalk and wait my turn to walk, not run, in a leisurely pace across the street) I’ll have stepped into a whole different world. Between the fresh smell of flowers over by the Caesar Chavez statue and the overwhelming array of colors at the fruitstand by the fountain, the experience of the market hits all senses at the same time. There’s a sweet aroma of nectarines as you walk by the first stand, crowded by people picking out white and yellow nectarines, vying and tussling for the attention of the busy fruit peddler. As you keep walking you encounter the vegetables table, with an assortment of greens and reds, zucchinis and tomatoes. The entire time, the smell of kettle corn fills the air, but you can always buy a bag as you head out. It’s not all fruits and vegetables at the market, as the cheese, juice and nut guys all hawk their product to folks walking by the stands. By now my hands are full of bags of peaches, grapes and occasionally some bok choy, but I still swing by the nut guy to pick up some garlic almonds. As I head back across 9th St, I glance back at the world I’m leaving. There’s nothing like getting away from work for a good twenty minutes of locavorism and relaxation. In a week filled with spreadsheets and meetings, it’s definitely been a welcome break. Until next week, there will be other things to keep me entertained, but there’s nothing like the welcome break of a Wednesday farmers market.

No comments: