Thursday, June 23, 2011

the hunted


It’s a weird feeling…being hunted. The eery, heart pounding, adrenaline filled emotion that courses through me is a little more than I’d like to feel. As I ran across the opening between the two buildings the only thing I could think about was staying alive. I cozied up to the wall as I came up on the corner. I had no idea what lurked around the corner.

Crap. Footsteps.

This isn’t good. Lucas was a few feet behind me…looking to me, as if pleading for me to go first. I peered around the corner, wondering if this was the end.

Whew…just a pair of students walking back from class. We snuck around the corner and ran down the narrow passageway toward the stairway up ahead. The stairwells are the worst. Every few steps, a blind turn. Who knows what lies around the bend? As we eased down the stairs, I see something bounce off the wall. Great…someone’s down there. As I peered around the corner, I didn’t know what to expect. Another one whizzes by.

Oh boy.

As I turned the corner, I see it again. You know that eery feeling you get as something terrible happens, when everything slows down and you can feel your heart pounding as you helplessly watch it unfold before you? I watched as it flew through the air. I turned to jump behind the corner, but I felt it nick me a split second before I was able to get to cover, the nerf dart bouncing off my left leg and finally settling on the stairway.

Bah. Got me.

No comments: