Friday, June 14, 2013

pune | the job


I’m sure I’ve mentioned during a previous post, I am actually in Pune for work. State Street is in the middle of a huge initiative to move certain processes to India, and I’ve been working on this project pretty much for the last 11 months. We’ve been working with a joint venture that SSB has with an IT company called Syntel. Anyways, as part of this project, I’ve been sent to India to train and help structure the JV’s management team so that the team here can run smoothly.


The company is located in an IT park in the north west part of the city in an area called Talawade, and there are many different companies who have a presence here. The team here is now roughly 25-30 people, and there's a mix of experienced folks as well as new hires. The team meshes pretty well, and everyone here is very friendly, although some are quieter than others.


My first day here was actually on Memorial Day. We have a few aussie and canadian funds that need to be valued, so it was a relatively light day. Within of half an hour of getting in, my JV initiation was brought in. I turned to my right and one of the coworkers was holding a mess of fried green chilies wrapped in newspaper, and it was up to me to eat as many as I could. I ended up doing 6, which was slightly more than what my coworker spencer could put down...I guess I passed.
The group here engages in some pretty fun diversions that help make the nights pass (oh yea...not sure if I mentioned, they work US hours). Friday's are usually the most fun, with inter-group games to promote some friendly competition, and after work there are some night-time cricket games. The team here is fairly similar to my group in the US in terms of their interactions with one another and how the group meshes. A lot of these guys are right out of college, so they're all in their mid-twenties.

midnight pickup game of cricket
Since I'm here on a business trip, most of my time is consumed by setting up meetings with various JV reps and etc. The work here gets busy sometimes, and since the work we moved over is completely different than the work that other groups had offshored, we have to do quite a bit of training, and that does get pretty intense. However, at the end of the day, it has still be quite a fun experience.

No comments: