Thursday, October 17, 2013

RTW 2013 | Chur


Nestled in the east, Chur is a small town that sits on the Rhine River, and is a good transfer point for going west to Zermatt or going south to Italy via the Bernina Pass. The town is the capital of the Swiss canton Graubünden and is also known as the oldest town in Switzerland.


I pretty much came straight to Chur after landing in Zurich, as I wanted the opportunity to walk around a bit before knocking out early (jet lag is no bueno). The main reason I wanted to visit Chur is because this is also the starting point of the southbound Bernina Express down to the northern part of Italy (Tirano). The journey here from Zurich was only 1.5 hours, but the two are worlds apart. Pretty much once we left Zurich, it went from industrial city to farmland with sheep and happy cows.


My first impression of Chur was…where is everyone?? The town isn’t very big, and there aren’t many people out on the streets. The people that are out are very friendly though, and cars will always wave a pedestrian through. Just walking through the streets, there is quite a lot of Swiss pride going on. It’s possible that it’s due to being in a tourist area, but in general, I see a lot of Swiss crosses everywhere, and the flag is prevalent in most areas.

My hotel was in old town Chur on Poststrasse, and it was an incredible area to bum around in. I was able to just sit at a café and enjoy an espresso sitting on the side of the street. For dinner I ended up picking up some cheese, prosciutto, and bread at a local supermarket and bringing it to the Kornplatz to enjoy in the late afternoon before sundown. Right next to the Kornplatz, I found a little park area with a climbing structure and built in trampolines…pretty cool!
enough for lunch tomorrow too!
Kornplatz
Trampolines!!

I think if I ever came back to Switzerland, this would be a place I’d be interesting in revisiting. It’s a nice serene town and the pace of life is very relaxing. It’s a lot of happy people that seem to enjoy their lives. 

No comments: