Thursday, April 12, 2012

RIP conversation.

Ohh no. I didn't mean to do it. There really wasn't any choice, it was an unfortunate turn of events. Upon boarding the red-eye flight to Atlanta, I moseyed down the aisle with my kindle and boarding pass in one hand, backpack in the other, eyes peeled for 18E. Oh great, E. Of course, for the five hour cross-country leg of the flight, it'd be middle seat (granted it was exit aisle). As I came upon the row, I notice a nice older gentleman with salt/pepper hair sitting in 18D, striking up a conversation with 18F, a businesswoman that looked like she was headed straight for an early morning meeting. I'm assuming these two had just met since they were shaking hands, and as I approach the row, I could overhear them taking about work and why they were traveling that day.

They seemed to be having quite the da-ba-doo time, looking slightly nervously at the oncoming line of people, secretly hoping that nobody would be sitting in the middle seat. How do I know? I perfected the look on southwest - slightly disgruntled face while arm slightly hanging over into the middle seat to make it seem less attractive to other passengers. Sorry folks. As I arrived at row 18, I quickly stuffed my backpack in the overhead bin and motioned that I was going to be sitting in 18E, right between the two. I don't have a choice, it's the seat they gave me. I sat down, careful not to bump either of them. They both smile politely, gave each other a nod, and that was it. The dynamic shifted - silence. No continued conversation, no talks of work or travel, just silence. Weird. That was the moment the conversation died.

It wasn't like I could really help it, I had to sit down, but at the same time, I knew it was going to be a little weird, since they were talking so nicely. I offered to switch with one of them, but by then the conversation was dead, and talking to me just wasn't the same, so both politely refused. *sigh* deep down I knew I had conversatory blood on my hands, I was responsible for the end of the chitchat. As the plane taxied down toward the runway, the headphones went in and the e-book came out. This was going to be a long flight.

No comments: