Friday, September 21, 2012

the incredible test drive

A while back, I posted about the fact that i was in quite a pickle. My phone had decided to stop functioning properly at odd times, prompting me to reboot my phone maybe 1-2 times a day, depending on if I was taking a picture or making a phone call. Since I'll be travelling this weekend, I called verizon about getting a temporary global phone plan for this month, which by the way, is totally worth it (well, better than paying the $20.48/MB that they normally charge). The guy on the other end was kinda funny (funny-odd, not funny-haha):

v-guy: sir, with this data plan, you need to have a CDMA and GSM ready phone. what kind of phone do you have right now?

me: a droid-x

v-guy: oh...wow. people still use that phone??

me: -___- **they sold me the phone 2 years ago as the solution to everything but world-peace** why yes, yes i do.

v-guy: ohhh...uhm yea. that's cool. Sir, your phone will not be adequate enough to handle this data plan, but don't worry, we're going to send you an htc incredible2 for you to use for the next 30 days. just pay the return shipping.

me: O_O?! ok.

And just like that, my malfunctioning phone quandary was halted for a month. They took down my mailing address and two days later, a fed-ex package was at my doorstep with a new incredible for me to use/test/abuse. A prima facie glance revealed an aesthetically pleasing phone, much sleeker than my droid, with a screen that was free of blemish. I also enjoy the rubberized-grippy-thingy that they've seemed to wrap around the phone. The droid-x had the same thing, but the large boxiness of it made it kinda blah. So far so good...just the right size, fits well in my hand. Now for the fun part.

As I peeled off the screen protector for the first time (i know...sooo not asian) and turned on the phone, a little green htc greeted me. So pleasant! my droid-x just says "droid" in an awkward sounding creeper voice and has a red mechanical eye. A quick phone-call to verizon, and the incredible was activated and ready to use!

I must say, this phone seems faster than my droid, but that may be due to the fact that it doesn't have two years worth of random amazon apps and text messages weighing it down. I also enjoy the fact that it's been a few days and i haven't had to reboot it to take a picture. Oh, and instagram works again. All in all, very pleased with this phone (although my standards aren't that high).

Some of the functionalities are a bit odd...linking contacts isn't too fun. It also seems that the battery pack is not going to work for a full day of not being plugged in; however thanks to Rob, I was introduced to the gum pro and no longer need to fret. Other things are fairly normal. I like the phone aspect of it. I no longer need to reboot to make a phone call either. We'll call that a win too. Although, all these benefits are only temporary: this will need to be returned in 30 day to avoid incurring a massive fee.

I still remember back in 2010 I was deciding between the droid x and the original incredible. Kinda wish I picked the other one. Why not? Htc makes good phones...and this one is definitely better than mine. Oh well...regret is generally a waste of time. Well, that pretty much concludes this review. Maybe I'll post an update if anything changes during this trip.

2 comments:

deBOrah said...

COOL my incredible is a rock. There must be some way you can charm your way into keeping that phone!!

zilly said...

Just please don't get an iPhone 5. Please.