Friday, November 16, 2012

like a swallow to capistrano

Recently I've been facing a small group dilemma. Ever since small groups have started, I've been going to the acacia small group in Sacramento. It only made sense, I work in Sac, and usually got off around between 6 and 7pm, so I've just always gone to small group in sac after work. Now that my day has been shifted earlier due to changing roles, I get off around 4-5pm, which means an hour or two of bumming around in Sac before small group, long enough to get bored, not long enough to go home, just in a limbo waiting period. So this year, I've been presented with the option to join the Davis small group. This allows me to go home and do things on Wednesday before heading off to small group nearby.


Fairly simple choice right? Well this dilemma is tearing me up inside. I've been going to sac small group since it first started, and while I try to be friendly to anyone in acacia, I feel a closer connection to the friends at SSG. I've seen this small group evolve from a house gathering at angel's or osmond's, to a regular temple cafe table, to a korean restaurant marathon, to a stall at the midtown crepeville. I've seen the group grow and shrink with the ebb and flow of life. SSG has been with me through thick and thin and it's something I won't ever forget. No, this definitely isn't going to be an easy decision to make.

I'm not sure how to end a post like this as I haven't really made up my mind, so I suppose I can close with this random observation. San Juan Capistrano is known as the site of Mission San Juan Capistrano (duh) and also the locale of the first Zorro story. They're also known for its famous cliff swallows. These migratory birds begin the journey each year from Argentina, and arrive consistently in San Juan Capistrano in mid-march, building their mud nests into the eaves of the mission. As creatures of habit, this has basically become a second home for the birds as they "winter" up north each year. Pretty neat huh?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

SSG is very near and dear to a lot of us :)