Sunday, November 18, 2012

netflix/redbox/public library pick of the month...

I know this is going to sound really nostalgic and date my childhood back to the early 90's, but please hear me out. My movie pick for this month is The Three Musketeers. Yes, the super old school Disney one with Kiefer Sutherland,  Charlie Sheen, and some-other-guy-I-don't-know-the-name-of. Do any of you remember that movie?

I know, some of the acting seemed a little amateurish, the jokes disney-esque and cheesy, and the swordfights looked totally staged; yet, when you're about 9 years old, this movie was amazing!! For months after this seeing this movie, I pleaded with my folks for fencing lessons (they wisely said no).

Of course, this movie isn't really accurate to the book, but then again, what Disney movie is? Even wikipedia describes this movie as having greatly simplified and altered the story, and took considerable liberties with French history.

The synopsis is simple. D'Artagnan wants to join the musketeers. He runs into three of them: Athos - a duke with a hidden past, Porthos - a heavy drinking swordsman, and Aramis - a onetime priest (incidentally, the only time you'll ever see charlie sheen try to act pious). He joins them for a few fights and they like him so they accept him into their little club. They fight off the bad guys, ride horses, and protect the king from the evil cardinal and assassination. Pretty cool plot huh?! Anyways, I miss this movie...one of these days I'm gonna have to get netflix and rent this movie.

No comments: