Wednesday, June 23, 2010

the cuteness factor


I suppose scientists are humans too, and a recent study overwhelmingly suggests that the subject of scientific studies hinges greatly on the appeal and the overall attractiveness of the species. Apparently there are oodles of endangered species inadvertently condemned to extinction because they’re ugly.

I guess it does make sense that scientists would want to work with the “big and furry stuff”, even if only subconsciously, as we have a natural tendency to move to what is attractive to us. I guess this is the same as when you see YoYo Ma on stage after a performance hugging only the pretty people.

There’s a group of amateur scientists that understand the plight of the ugly creatures and have started a site to raise awareness. I just find it a bit sad that a species’ existence hinges on the fact that they aren’t cute. In our imperfect human thinking, we have the power to save certain critters from certain doom and sentenced others to a natural history museum exhibit. Kinda make you wonder huh??

1 comment:

Garfman said...

Thanks for linking to my site. I hate to say, but it's not really a group of people. It's really just me.