Saturday, June 19, 2010

a sprinkle of father’s day cheese

As father’s day is soon upon us…many websites recount the various classically great and not so great father’s day gifts. When I saw this article I must admit…I recognized some of the gifts pictured…mostly because I’ve given at least two on the list at one point or another hehe. I think my dad probably still has the “world’s greatest dad” mug from 4th grade stashed somewhere in the cupboard, and that “bowl” I made in first grade is now a paperclip cup on his desk. (btw I have a pair of the homer slippers and there’s NOTHING wrong with that!!)

Sadly, there are a few years where I can recall getting him something random just for the sake of giving him something. Sometimes it meant something, sometimes it didn’t. Thinking back on the years…I’ve never been sure if he knew how appreciative I am of my dad. To me, he’s been a pillar of patience and wisdom, and there’s really nobody I respect on the same level as him. It’s hard to put in words my appreciation of him, but he’s always been a clear presence in my life, providing both love and guidance in his own quirky way. :)

Thank you for putting your family first. Thank you for reading to me at night. Thank you for schlepping me to and from track practice, music lessons, and fellowship events. Thank you for switching shoes with me that time when mine gave me blisters. Thank you for teaching me manners and taking us to church on Sundays. Thanks for the endless love and support…regardless of whether I reciprocated or not. Thanks dad!

Happy Fathers Day!

No comments: