Saturday, May 8, 2010

gotta love farmers (market)


It’s MAY!! That means good weather, the start of bbq season, and memorial day to cap off the month. To make things even better, it’s the start of the downtown farmer’s market! Now, I’m not exactly treehuggerish and all that, but I am quite tickled when it comes to farmers markets. For some reason these short Wednesday retreats provide me some well deserved time away from my desk to pursue fresh seasonal fruits and veggies. Oh who am I kidding…they gots the kettlecorn too.

The walk outside gives me a chance to not only get some fresh air and sun, but an opportunity to interact with people I wouldn’t usually encounter on a daily basis. At the market, I’ve run into every kind of person, from retirees playing chess on the bench to ex-NBA players donning a three-piece cage. Even though I don’t usually talk to these people every time, I like the sense that people from all walks of life can find commonalities at something as simple as a farmers market. From the ripe peaches and asian pears to the zucchinis and fresh asparagus, I usually emerge from the market with my hands full of good healthy produce and kettlecorn, my temporary locavorism satisfied.

The farmer’s market really is an experience that puts me in a separate world, where time slows down and I can enjoy the simple pleasures in life. You know, if you have some time to burn on wednesdays, what better way to kill some time than to come out and walk around? I’ll meet you there.

No comments: