Friday, May 28, 2010

the undo button


Yesterday, I was talking to CTG on Sametime and we were talking about the undo button (I know…weird topic). The question that naturally followed …is there anything in life that I would undo? Without thinking that much (or really at all), I blurted out “of course there is!” This of course led to the follow-up question, what would you undo?

Well, that really stumped me. At first I was so ready to count out the stupid stuff I’ve done over the last 20+ years, but as I sat there and thought about it…was there really anything that I regretted doing? Was there anything that I’d take back or undo? Funny thing is, I’m a firm believer that God has planned everything that happens to me in my life, from the grand scale “what am I going to do with my life?” all the way down to the seemingly inconsequential “what am I going to get for lunch?” Psalms 139 spells out that even when I was unformed, my days were carefully fashioned. If I were to regret or want to undo anything…does that mean that I’d want to undo something God’s done?

All of this was going through my head as the Sametime window was blinking on my screen. Shoot…I have to respond… Quickly (and ever so cleverly), I cracked a joke and made a funny and the conversation took a turn onto something else. Ahh…situation avoided… Then as the day wore on and I had some time between work tasks…the thought reappeared in my mind, would I want to undo anything? Since my friend had left for the day…it gave me even more time to mull. Again my thoughts turned to the Psalm. Hmm…even though the topic had long passed yesterday…I think I’m going to reply to the question today…

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be. Psalms 139:13-16

No comments: