Monday, May 3, 2010

50 beans | a weekend ritual...


tsssstt...The nitrogen quickly escapes from the pressurized can of perfectly tanned medium roast coffee beans as I pull back on the sealed tab, releasing an aroma that rushes to fill the kitchen. As I count out the beans for my task, I slowly and purposefully take in the experience of the coffee through all five senses. From the coarse, slightly oily texture of each bean to the rich and fragrant aroma filling the air around the room, the feast for my senses is something that often leaves me breathless as I savor every moment.

The whirring sound of 50 perfectly browned beans nestled in a ceramic-disc grinder composes quite a tune to my perked ears, listening for any kinks and hiccups in the grinding process. As the freshly ground powder is transferred and tamped into the filtered holder, any residual grounds is brushed away before the filter can be set. Now, the paintbrush is ready to sweep the canvas.

As the filter holds the 7 grams of tamped grounds in place, 30ml of 194°F distilled water is forced through at 12 atmospheres of pressure, extracting more than simply colored water. The resulting brew is an aromatic experience, thick in consistency and carrying with it a buttery layer of crema, composed of rich oils, full bodied flavor, and really the essence of the bean. As the temperature drops down to 150°F, it’s time to enjoy the brew.

Holding the vessel with both hands, I let the warmth travel through my fingers and up my arms. The fragrance rises up and I feel the light steam surround my face. As I take the first sip, the velvety texture swirls around my mouth, the pleasing mix of sweet hints of flavor from the oils and the sugars, and bitter tastes to boot. As the bitterness fades, the sweet notes linger on my tongue like a haunting refrain. At the same time, I try to inhale as deeply as possible to take in the fragrant aroma. Since I was a child, I’ve always loved the smell of coffee, and it’s a simple pleasure I take for myself everyday. I’m no coffee expert, and I wouldn’t claim to know all the different flavors and smells that I experience, but it’s a personal enjoyment nonetheless.

As I finish the cup to begin my day, I close the can of beans back up and put it in the freezer (I know it’s weird…but that’s where I’ve always kept coffee beans) until the next time I can take a few minutes to take pleasure in the joy that is coffee.

2 comments:

deBOrah said...

on second thought.. you shOULd enroll in the illy masters program. dunno what you're doing in finance stuff. this is your calling. go for it.

hehee

Brenda said...

i second deborah