Thursday, July 29, 2010

work quirks (hehe that rhymes...)

The other day I was shooting the breeze with Denise, Paula, and Zang about some old stories at work and it occurred to me that I’ve seen and been through quite a bit in my 4 years here (just hit the 4 yr mark the other day =/ ).

I still remember vividly going to Sharky’s after work with Eddy, Ky, and the Merrill crew to shoot pool till 2am. We did this at least once a week up until the news about the stabbing in the parking lot…then each of us all of a sudden had “something to do” that next week.

My old boss is a Davis lifer. Seriously. Born in Davis, grew up here, went to UCSB for 2 years before transferring to UCD, named his son Davis, and is looking to buy a house here. I wonder if his son’s gonna be a lifer too…

On my second day on the job, I almost got sent to HR for saying the word “asian”. Good thing too…I think I almost offended myself.

A few months later, one of the managers looked up at me one day and told me I had slanted eyes. How does that not get sent to HR?

In some groups, the people take turns calling in sick. In relationship management, the girls take turns going on maternity leave. Must be something in the water…

I once drew the short straw and got sent to “copier training” once. One full hour of listening to the RICOH rep explain the science of loading paper. Apparently if you don’t fan a ream of paper once before loading, there could be potential implications on world peace.

My coworker once told my boss to google a drink called the “gay astronaut”. This did not end very well.

We used to be able to call 911. Then some geniuses who had to make international calls started messing things up. Usually when we dial out we have to push 9 first…and for international calls it’s 011, then country code…you see where this is going?? So after a few fake 911 calls from our office, we’re no longer able to call 911 from our phones. But that’s ok though, because if there were ever a case of an emergency, we simply have to dial 9-1-617-500-8877. Then the security guard out of Boston will route us to our local police and fire depts.

Even though there are more stories like these, it’s the people I work with that keep me here. For some of us, we’ve been through a lot in the last two years, from living and working together in Back Bay, to celebrating promotions and commemorating last days. I guess it’s definitely been an interesting 4 years, kept me on the edge of my seat, not really knowing what to expect. I wonder how the next few years pan out…

No comments: