Friday, March 16, 2012

I would make a horrible leprechaun

When I think of fairy tales, I think of the three little pigs, hansel and gretel, cinderella, snow white, mostly stories of innocence and cleverness and heroics, featuring characters that you can identify with at some point, or would like to identify with. For some reason, some very odd reason, the irish imagination concocted the leprechaun, an old, shriveled up midget-like man with a long unattractive nose and a pointy ear, hat, and shoes. He spends his time making shoes and storing away his gold in a pot that is kept at the end of a rainbow. Eventually this image of the leprechaun evolved to be more palatable to kid's imaginations, and the leprechaun turned into a midget-like (some things never change...) green-clad pilgrim.

Seeing as this creature isn't what you would consider traditionally pretty, it's funny to try to imagine how the irish came up with the idea of the leprechaun. I wonder if there was an irish guy that always wore green, and so the people around him just started calling him that, and it eventually evolved into something of mythical status. I don't know...just a thought. Anyways, as it turns out, I went into work today (in a super bright green sweater) expecting everyone to be wearing green =/ , as it is St. Patricks day tomorrow. Clearly, I over-estimated the enthusiasm of my coworkers. I went through the entire day labeled as a leprechaun...

*sigh* I would make a terrible leprechaun.

2 comments:

xtine.liang said...

maybe if you were like thiss....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k4iZqbDsMs

XD

Jack Zhu said...

lol what in the world?