Monday, December 5, 2011

the beast.

This is one of the craziest watches I’ve ever seen. The Casio Protrek is for the guy who tackles the outdoors every day and needs a tool that will keep him alive and moving. This watch not only looks awesome, it comes with every feature possible for a wrist watch. That includes a watch with world-time, compass, altimeter, barometer, thermometer, moon data, tide graph, stopwatch, 5 daily alarms, etc. It’ll go down to -10C or and has a high/low altitude memory. It’s 100m water resistant and will also auto-correct when you cross time zones. Oh, and it’s solar powered, and has a 6 month battery reserve in case you’re stuck at the bottom of the ocean or in some cave for 6 months or so. Of course…if you find yourself in that type of situation, being able to know the time in Hong Kong is kind of the least of your worries. Although it doesn’t say it, I’m going to assume it’s got some kind of shock resistance as well.

For a guy like me, that shock resistance probably isn’t going to matter that much. The only damage I’d ever do to this thing would be the occasional desk-diving scratches. Nevertheless, it’s pretty cool to see this watch in action. I can’t actually justify getting this, as I would feel embarrassed in the checkout line, seeing as I’m not exactly giving off the outdoorsy vibe. This is like the watch equivalent of the Swiss Army Champ pocket knife/beast, in which case, I would really be only using the screwdriver functionality.

All in all this is a crazy cool looking watch. No way would I get it as I wouldn’t know how to use it…but it’s pretty fun to see what kind of tool you can strap to your wrist now-a-days. Also, I guess the fact that owning a casio watch could be cause for detention at Guantanamo Bay doesn’t make this watch any more appealing to me either. So I suppose if you like it…get it at your own risk haha.

No comments: