Tuesday, February 28, 2012

apps for apes


I saw this on yahoo this morning. Apparently an orangutan conservation group started up a program called apps for apes that buys ipads for zoos so that orangutans can use them to draw and videochat with others orangutans (presumably through facetime?). The logic is that they can therefore paint without the danger of accidentally eating the paint. *sigh* Scientific research befuddles me sometimes. I honestly don't know what kind of benefit we can get from knowing that apes can paint and videochat with each other. I know the organization accepts donations from individuals and such, but I seriously hope no government funding is going to this project. I just don't know how you can explain to a local PTA board that their kids don't have proper textbooks because you gave the money to buy ipads for some apes instead.

No comments: