Sunday, February 12, 2012

reykjavik?


The NYT frugal traveler blog is usually a favorite weekly read for me, and a few weeks ago, they posted an article highlighting the things you can do in Reykjavik, Iceland. After a quick visit to IcelandAir website, I found a few decent flights to the capital city, with only one to two stops along the way. The author recommended going in the wintertime, as a stopover to europe.

While that sounds tempting, I'm not sure going there while it's freezing cold and barely a few hours of sunlight a day is really the best for sightseeing. The icelandic tradition of hotsprings does sound good on a cold day though. On the upside, in the wintertime you'd have most of the touristy spots to yourself. It'd definitely be fun on a summer weekend, where you get up to 20hrs of sunlight a day (too bad that's when all the tourists go).

This year, with all the vacation days I have, I kind of want to do a big international trip somewhere. I haven't decided yet, but I think Reykjavik is going to be on the radar screen for now. Any other suggestions?

2 comments:

mike said...

i use kayak flight explorer when i'm bored sometimes... i remember zurich and prague being relatively cheap to fly into..

Jack Zhu said...

hmm...i'll have to check that site out...