Friday, May 4, 2012

50 beans | the journey - part 1

I would like to recount my journey through the magical world of coffee in a series of posts. I figured since I enjoy coffee and write about it from time to time, I might as well explain how this came to be.

It all started when I was a five or six. There was this coffee candy called Kopiko, a little rectangular block of magical coffee goodness. I tried it just once, and that was it! I don’t know what it was about the coffee flavor, but it was so enjoyable, even as a kid. Once my parents knew I liked the taste of coffee, they said no. All through my formative years, coffee was off limits to me. No coffee candy, no coffee ice cream, and of course, definitely no coffee.

By the end of elementary school, I couldn’t even remember what it tasted like, just that it was awesome. It wasn’t like I was addicted…I think it takes more than one or two tried to become addicted, but the combination of the fact that I had fond memories of it and it was forbidden, well, that fueled the craze (if you can call it that…). Every time I walked by a coffee shop, every time I went to my grandparent’s place, I’d take a long whiff of coffee and lament the fact that I was not to touch it.

Then, one day in 7th grade, I distinctly remember my grandmother sneaking me a cup of nestle instant coffee. It was glorious. I remember savoring every drop of the magical elixir, taking in the sights, smells, the texture of it as I took it sip by sip. Oh my goodness this must be what pastor quon described as heaven. It was a feeling I can’t really describe, but you’ll know it when you have it. I remember going home that day thinking hmm…I must go visit grandma more.

High school physics class was torture for me. I had a coffee-nut of a teacher in Mr. Ikezi, and I remember he would always have a cup ready while he lectured, filling the room with the scent. I knew once I got to college, I’d be free to enjoy this stuff, but those last few months were so tough to wait out! Fortunately the summer went by quickly and I arrived at the UCD dorms wide-eyed and ready for my first legitimate cup of coffee (and to learn too I suppose).

That's all for now. If they can show a movie trailer that basically says "Despicable Me 2: coming whenever we finish making it", I can give a vague "part 2 of the journey: coming soon".

No comments: