Saturday, May 26, 2012

easing into 28

When 24 came out, I was ambivalent. When people kept ranting and raving about Family Guy, I smiled politely. I've never really been a fanatical follower of a TV show. Sure there are shows that I look forward to occasionally, but not one that I will set my alarm, remember to park myself in front of the TV, and then gush and fawn over afterwards in the dedicated online chatroom. I’m more of the “wait till it’s out on DVD and then view at my own pace” kind of TV viewer. I guess now it’s “wait till it’s on amazon prime”. Basically, no way in hell is NBC going to dictate my weekly schedule.

Don’t get me wrong, I have a few favorite shows. I have shows that I’ve seen every episode. I have shows that I remember notable quotes from. I liked Frasier, and West Wing, and Becker, but when those shows ended I just found something new to watch. I mean, I did feel kinda sad, but there was no empty “I’m so sad I can’t get out of bed” feeling to get over. And NO, I did not attend the conventions, which, btw, I can guarantee you that there are probably not any west wing or Frasier conventions. I was never a trekkie or a gleek. I didn’t dress up in character to watch my shows. If you did that, I won’t judge. To each his own. We just can’t be facebook friends anymore.

Well, all of that is about to be in the past. You see, from May 28-30, History Channel is showing an eponymously named 3-part miniseries on the Hatfield/McCoy feud. Yes, three glorious episodes packed full of shotgun-totin' action, historical drama, and featuring west-virginians with missing teeth. Ohh yes, this will be an awesome start to being 28. Don't worry, I promise not to get carried away. You won't find me sitting at home dressed up in cowboy gear among a pile of sawdust in front of the TV with a beer in one hand and the remote dangling from the holster at my waist. 

It's a good thing this is only going to be three episodes, so I'll only have a week of sheer TV watching lunacy before returning to my normal life. I must make every moment count.

No comments: