Monday, January 16, 2012

knowing when to let go

At church yesterday I sat in the back corner next to a compass guy. When the worship leader told everyone to greet the person on the right/left, I turned to him and introduced myself. As we were shaking hands, I gave the customary 1.2 second firm handshake (yes it gets very scientific…), and started to look toward the other person next to me as I proceeded to pull my hand away. Clearly, he goes by a different handshake standard (2-2.4 seconds...must've been on metric system), and did not let go. So at that point he was basically just holding my hand. As I looked back to check on my trapped hand, he let go, gave me an awkward look, and turned to the person behind him. Needless to say the rest of the service was a bit awkward.

*sigh* There should be a unified standard for handshakes so that such church-time crises can be averted.

2 comments:

xtine.liang said...

hahaha maybe you had soft hands and he was admiring them :D

Jack Zhu said...

uhm...I don't even know what to say to that...