Tuesday, December 18, 2012

twenty-five | day 18 – intentional gifts

wrapping gleaming bright...
presents under christmas tree,
is this one for me?


today I read a post that made a bit of sense to me (doesn’t happen as often as it should…). Even though I don’t have kids, I still think this would be a good rule of thumb for being intentional with Christmas gifts. These days we seem to give gifts just for the sake of being able to go shopping for stuff. There’s no rhyme or reason behind the gift giving. So this lady has a creative way of giving her kids gifts, but not necessarily spoiling them (sorry if you’ve seen this before…I thought it was creative). A child would get:

want – usually something the kid will enjoy like a small toy or other item they may have had their eye on
need – a sweater for the next year or something
spiritual gift – a bible or something else that would help promote the child’s spiritual growth

this seems like a decent thought, to try to be intentional about what kinds of christmas gifts you're giving your child (although is it just me or does 3 gifts for a kid seem a bit much?). Anyways, in this time and age when we're blasted by ads and messages telling us that we need to find the perfect gift for our loved ones (or 10 perfect gifts), i wonder how many people I know with kids would be willing to try this three-step gift giving concept for christmas? Maybe next year I can get an experiment going...possibly see if switching to this kind of gift giving simplifies the holiday pageantry and allows a family to focus on more important things during christmas.

No comments: