Saturday, December 22, 2012

twenty-five | day 22 – slow afternoons

the fireplace roars
stockings hanging overhead
warm light fills the room


I think just about every year I say I'm going to start using the fireplace, and every year I end up just turning on the heater and leaving the fireplace untouched. To this day, my fireplace has gone unused. I got it cleaned when i moved in back in December of 2009, anticipating the need to use it basically every day. Now, three years later, nope, not even once. As a matter of fact, in the three years that rudolph has been hanging there, I don't even think that hearth-door has even been opened once – something i hope to rectify sometime this winter. I would imagine the first step would be learning how to open the flue (otherwise house will be filled with smoke – earning me another visit by the davis fire dept). One of these days I'd imagine I could pop a log in there (or a few) and finally put it to use (aww heck i just want an excuse to play with matches #boyswillbeboys). Maybe after the new year when my vacation days reset, I could take a day off work just to bum around at home, fire up a log, and find something fun to do. Until then, the heater will have to do.

No comments: